Sunday, March 3, 2013

Some Bar and Restaurant talk

I don't know if many of you have seen the show Bar Rescue on Spike TV but the shows host  Jon Taffer brings a no bull shit attitude to the Restaurant business and I think he is one hundred percent right. Opening and maintaining a food and bar  business is near impossible these days, but for the one's who are successful are for a reason. Here are a couple of things consider  if I would open a standard American bar (These are just general ideas and I have no idea for a name for the place):

  • LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION
  • Know your locale community, who are your target customers? ( I would prefer to open in a city in a vibrant area with 21 and 30 year olds ex...Hoboken....)
  • Bar has to be spot on clean from the bar, to the kitchen to the bathroom...no exceptions
  • My employee's and I have the utmost respect for Customers, but also on the flip-side kick out any knuckleheads that cause trouble
  • For the Menu only have 1 page keep it simple, quality not quantity (Why do you like The Lumineers  are flourishing as a band : they have a simple formula and they prefect it it's literally the same thing for food)....
  • A kick ass beer selection....also incorporate some local brewers give some people new choices 
  • Also have some womanly drinks for the ladies (and yes fireball whiskey)
  • This one is key STELLAR MUSIC ( nothing more off putting at a bar then horrible music) I would make playlists for different days and have a jukebox with only solid music...(of course people like and dislike some songs but if you have an overall first-class playlist your golden)
I think these are some crucial points to open bar I could keep going for days but I thought this was a smart list to start with.........
but also you could just say fuck it and be like the worst bar in America:

























No comments:

Post a Comment